What started as an introduction on Twitter by KarenSalmon :
on Mon 26 Sep at 17:45 resulted in a commitment to dye our hair blue for suicide prevention at 10.46pm that same night.
@FarewellStrangr @simplee_serene @motherunadorned@distress_centre Ok Lee let’s do it! is that a yyc one? @karensalmon will stir it up for us”
A wonderful story of how small the online world is, when Laurel Hounslow shared with me that her daughter is Robin Farr aka @farewellstrangr a blogger who is a postpartum depression survivor.
What makes this story so unique is that I have been intently following the organizer of the #BlueBloggers set up by Cristi Comes @MotherUnadorned. There is another story within this story as I have been inspired by Cristi’s commitment to suicide prevention and mental health. Cristi recently dyed her hair blue from reaching her goal of raising $1,500 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Check out her fabulous blog Motherhood Unadorned.
So what is Going Blue 4 U?
Going Blue 4 U is a campaign in support of Mental Illness Awareness Week October 2-8, 2011. A group of passionate individuals are committing to dye their hair blue for mental illness and suicide awareness.
There are 1 in 5 chances that U or a loved one will be impacted by mental illness. U are not alone!
You can support us by either:
- Joining us and committing to dying your hair blue.
- Making a tax-deductible donation.
- Sharing the message and encouraging others to reach out and ask for help.
- Educate yourself about the impacts of mental illness and the signs to look for to prevent suicide.
- Participants are asked to commit to a minimum $1,000 fundraising goal.
- Donations can be made by anyone. Please ask everyone who donates if their company has a matching gift fund policy.
- If donations are by cheque, please ensure it is made out to the charity you are supporting. Each donor should write their own name, donation amount. Participants may collect the donation in advance but must keep donations until all are collected.
- Donations close midnight on November 6th, 2011.
- On Monday November 14th, participants are required to honor their commitment by dying their hair blue according to the level they personally raised. If our Campaign goal of $40,000 is reached all participants have agreed to dye all their hair blue.
- Blue hair dye can be semi-permanent.
In Calgary, AB GB4U is supporting Distress Centre Calgary Co-Ordinator Lee Horbachewski
In Edmonton, AB GB4U is supporting The Support Network Edmonton Co-Ordinator: Angela Watt
In Victoria, BC GB4U is supporting Vancouver Island Crisis Line Victoria Co-Ordinator: Laurel Hounslow
On Twitter we are using the hashtag #GB4U and our Go Blue Team Members are using the hashtag #GoBlueTeam
To DONATE online click HERE
For me, my personal fundraising goal is $4,000
If you would like to start a GB4U campaign in your city, or for questions, comments or to participate please contact:
Going Blue 4 U Organizer
Mental Illness Awareness Week is coordinated by the Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health ((CAMIMH)
For 24 Hour Crisis Lines across the globe visit International Association for Suicide Prevention