According to Kids Help Phone in 2010, the top three issues most important to kids were:
- Mental Health concerns: close to 30% of the issues kids contacted our professional counsellors about related to mental or emotional health struggles. This is a notable increase from 19% recorded in 2004 (first available issue-related statistics);
- Peer concerns; and
- Family concerns.
Kids deal with mental health concerns and we need to be aware of the struggles they face and be ready to support them in any way we can.
According to Mood Disorders Society of Canada:
- The age with highest rate of depression systems is under 20 years of age
- Suicide accounts for 24% of all deaths among Canadians aged 15 – 24.
What can you do to help the children in your life?
- Be aware of the signs of depression
- Educate yourself about suicide prevention through organizations such at Centre for Suicide Prevention and Living Works
- Be present in your child’s life – create a safe space for them to be open and honest.
- Empower them to Stand UP, Speak UP and Show UP
- Ensure they are aware that there is help at hand – Kids Help Phone provides 24 hours a day
I am humbled and honored to be the Spokesperson for the Kids Help Phone “Walk So Kids Can Talk” in Calgary on May 6, 2012. You can help by donating, being a part of a walk across Canada, and making sure your children know the number: 1-800-668-6868
Together we can let our children know